04 January 2009

Dantes 10 of '08

With so many tunes going in n out of my ears this past year, I'll admit it's difficult to keep a track of everything, but I think I figured it out....by no means is it an official list, or official order, but here's some albums I thought rocked in '08.

10.) Kings of Leon Only By The Night
Yea, people didn't like it. I get it. Was it my favorite Kings album? Of course not, but it rocked, it was different for the Followills, and it's worthy of #10....So put your hate-letter-writing pens down.

9.) Death Cab For Cutie Narrow Stairs
Don't usually fully enjoy/"appreciate" Death Cab, but I thought the album was enjoyable throughout the time we spent together.

8.) The Black Angels Directions To See A Ghost
With so many ways to make terrible ambient-rock these days, these guys nail it and rock out. An acquire taste, but I consider myself acquirable.

7.) of Montreal Skeletal Lamping
Again, usually don't find the time to become a huge of Montreal fan, but this is one album that hypnotized me the first time I heard it....either the album or their outfits. Would be impossible to know.

6.) TV on the Radio Dear Science
Utterly enjoyable album, if we can be honest. Rolling Stone put it at #1...how could you go wrong?? But they don't own me....they're at #6.

5.)What Made Milwaukee Famous What Doesn't Kill Us
This album has everything from rock, to dance, to folk, to lounge, and blends all the genres into a great album. The only thing it's missing is a cathartic love song.....one of the reasons it's in my list.

4.) Noah and the Whale Peaceful, the World Lays Me Down
Already ripped my fingertips off writing a review for this album....it's great, it's touching, you should own it. Moving on....

3.) Sigur Rós Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
One of the few bands you really don't have to worry about making a crappy album....I've come to realize it must be impossible for them to write bad music. Haven't heard them before? Great album to ween onto the bandwagon....(pun intended)

2.) Johnny Foreigner Waited Up 'Til It Was Light
When I first heard this band, never would've thought they would be #2 on my list. They rock harder than most bands that have been around for decades, and their style is all their own. Recommended to almost anyone who enjoys any genre of rock music...absurdly addicting, however.

1.) MGMT Oracular Spectacular
Yea, it was digitally released in Oct '07, but I buy physical CDs, so it was released to me in Jan '08. Yes, they have gotten a ridiculous amount of media attention and hype for their debut album (with their new name), but anyone who can become that big without even trying (very literally, as they never sent in their music to anyone), has to be somewhat talented. As long as they don't blow their own minds with talent and live through their days playing guitar with an invisible dog in the subways for change, MGMT will grow to play a big part in the future of alternative rock.

No comments: